About Me

My photo
I 'm wife, a mother , a daughter, a sister,a friend,a crazy faerie loving, art creating, born in England living in the states, blond hair blue eyed, tea drinking, mixed media, atc swapper, digital artist, blogger ,Facebook, reader, writer, old movie watcher, paper addicted, high heel lover, dog owner,cupcake eater, creatively eccentric.. party hat wearer. Welcome to my blog. Where I hope you'll stay awhile and come back often. Hugs Wendy

Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

the first time

 It is my first altered a cabinet card,  I've brought these cards and looked at them but this is the first time , I've actually altered one.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  I was so worried I would mess it up and then what would I do? .. its going to my partner Linda for a swap at blissfull ART. 
I titled it " faeries at the bottom of the garden" I hope Linda likes it.

There's another cabinet card swap coming up soon but this time  
 a Halloween theme one.  I have my cabinet card all ready picked out....   and talking of cabinet cards, Does anyone know why they are called that? 

5 comments:

Kim said...

Here you go....Here you go....One style of photograph that can often be found in many old family photo collections is the cabinet card. First introduced in 1863 by Windsor & Bridge in London, the cabinet card is a photographic print mounted on card stock. The Cabinet card got its name from its suitability for display in parlors -- especially in cabinets -- and was a popular medium for family portraits.

Love how you altered yours!

Angelica said...

I'm sure she will LOVE it!!
I do, I love the flowers and what a cool idea to alter a cabinet card!

Janet Ghio said...

This is so cute! You did a great job!

Createology said...

Very Fairie fabulous alteration. I can see why you like doing this. Creative Bliss...

fairyrocks said...

I always wondered about the name, so I googled it. this is what I found, 'cabinet' because they were easily propped up or this one:
"CABINET CARD - Towards the end of 1865 Mathew Brady began manufacturing "Cabinet cards" as they were later called in England. He called them "Imperial Carte-de-Visite". Cabinet card photography did not become all that popular in the United States until the early 1870's. Prior to 1870 they were almost never used. This style of photograph lasted till the turn of the century. "
There I learned something new today. Thanks and also the main ingredient in the setting solutions was egg white, or Albumen.

Blog Archive