About Me

My photo
I 'm wife, a mother , a daughter, a sister,a friend,a crazy faerie loving, art creating, born in England living in the states, blond hair blue eyed, tea drinking, mixed media, atc swapper, digital artist, blogger ,Facebook, reader, writer, old movie watcher, paper addicted, high heel lover, dog owner,cupcake eater, creatively eccentric.. party hat wearer. Welcome to my blog. Where I hope you'll stay awhile and come back often. Hugs Wendy

Followers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tutorial.... An Altered Altoids tin



Tutorial.... Let's make... An Altered Altoids tin
 you'll need: an empty Altoids tin....or two because once you make one you'll want to make more. 
Sand paper
Decorative paper
Ribbon if you want to hang it but you could used wire or use cotton reels for wheels or an wood candle holder.
Images
Embellishments..... paper flowers , lace , tulle, moss...  anything and everything 
Gritter
Foam tape or small pieces of foam core card


 Decoupage glue and a hot glue gun

Baby wipes for your messy fingers 










Step one: I'm going to take the lid off my tin ... to turn in into a shrine but you can leave it on.... the lids can be used in a later project.   Sand the whole tin  and when done... wipe off the dust... You want to get a tooth to the surface so the paint or paper will hold.... this is the time you can paint the whole tin but today I 'm going to just use the paper.... I like using spray paint ... in cream but also black looks good if you are making an Halloween tin... I have also used gold.  If you are painting let your tin dry overnight .


Step two:
Cut two pieces of your decorative paper to fit the inside  and the back of the tin ...
I use this glue, it holds really well and because it a decoupage glue sealer. I can seal my paper with it too




 I do the inside and then work on the outside....I know it looks like a lot of glue but I use this the seal the paper... use your fingers to push any air bubbles out... messy I know but you will get the paper to stick well .... I use brown ink to age the paper.


Step three: the sides needs to be covered  I have used strips of my paper to do this ... lace , thin ribbon but I love the Tim Holst's tissues tape myself.


If you are hanging your tin this is a good time to add the ribbon or wire ... you can drill holes before you start sanding your tin.

I  push the ribbon through glue and then cover with more tissue tape or masking tape...

 Step Four.... play time...cover the sides with glue...covering the tissue tape to hide the ribbon.... add lots of glitter and let dry ...... when dry... tip out the surplus glitter



while you are waiting for the glue to dry, cut your images out ... I like to use small nail scissors...




Arrange your images... using the foam tape or I sometime use small cut pieces of foam core card and bump out you images to make them 3D

I now add the embellishments....


I add banners, pieces of floral picks.. more images, wide ribbon,  paper flowers, seam binding ribbon mixed with tulle.

Just about everything and anything.Lastly I'm using a candle holder as a base ... I stained it with ink and added some more tulle and ribbon and some flowers


 Almost done I believe the back should be as pretty as the front so I added a rosette and don't forget to sign your masterpiece. 





 Okay so off you go..... Create, Play and Enjoy
Please let me know if you create a tin..... I would love to see it




Hugs Wendy


Thank you to Evelyn Kennedy Duncan at  http://ekduncan.blogspot.com/ 
for the use of the Maria image
and 
http://shabbyblogsblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/vintage-freebie-with-keren-4-vintage.html 

for the freebie of the vintage floral print banners



















  






14 comments:

Jill ~*Feathers and Flight*~ said...

Absolutely Gorgeous Miss Wendy and a Wonderful Tutorial too!!!You are a Sweet Heart!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Hugs
jill

Martina2801 said...

Exquisitely crafted, dear Wendy ! So beautiful.
And thanks for the wonderful tutorial too.

Have a nice weekend my friend.
Hugs
MARTINA

Leaping Frog Design's said...

Oh wow Wendy..Not only is your tutorial helpful but your tin is beautiful!! I am inspired to make a St. Paddy's day tin for my shelf!!
Have a great weekend!!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Thanks Wendy!! Great tutorial and gorgeous tin!! I appreciate your help with this.

Melanie Statnick said...

OMG So excited to read your blog post tonight!. I too have made the tims but I have'nt used the technique that have showen to get the paper.paint to stick well. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nook and Cranny said...

Love the tin, Wendy.
Have a great Sunday
Michele

"MOI" Freubel said...

They say "all good things take time" Wendy, you've certainly proved it to be true here, what a magnificent artpiece !!!

Mina said...

Oh Wendy, this is a true masterpiece! How wonderful that you shared a tutorial as I know several people love these finished pieces but don't know how go about making them.

I am just catching up with all the beauty you have made that I have fallen behind on. I have not felt well and just doing more than the daily requirements can be very taxing. Please do not take my absence as lack a interest or affection, dear friend. Sending many hugs to you. Mina

Terri said...

Wendy, your Marie altered tin is fab! Love how you made it and it was very kind of you to show how you did it. Putting her up on a stand was brilliant!

Fran. said...

Wendy thanks so very much for sharing this!!! XO Love, Fran.

Lesley said...

Thank you for this very detailed tutorial Wendy.
I haven't commented or visited much, been doing other arty things and a rather large ATC background swap.
This is just lovely and who would think this started out as a candy tin???
Les xo

trisha too said...

Beautiful tin, Wendy!

I did make one, but you've convinced me I really should add something more to the back . . .

http://easilyamusedhardtooffend.blogspot.com/2012/02/dont-let-stars-get-in-your-eyes.html

Lynn Stevens said...

Fabulous Tutorial with stunning results!

Gaby Bee said...

Your altered tin looks gorgeous Wendy! Thanks for your wonderful tutorial!

Have a lovely weekend!
Hugs,
Gaby

Blog Archive