About Me

My photo
I 'm wife, a mother , a daughter, a sister,a friend,a crazy faerie loving, art creating, born in England living in the states, blond hair blue eyed, tea drinking, mixed media, atc swapper, digital artist, blogger ,Facebook, reader, writer, old movie watcher, paper addicted, high heel lover, dog owner,cupcake eater, creatively eccentric.. party hat wearer. Welcome to my blog. Where I hope you'll stay awhile and come back often. Hugs Wendy

Followers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Alice in wonderland LINK TO GINGERSNAP CREATIONS

 

I have been playing again .. I just had this idea last week to do something  with Alice in Wonderland but not the new movie version but the novel. The pen and ink drawings are still wonderful  after all these years.( excuse the pun). I remember being terrified when I read it when I was a child, but after watching the movie I went back reread it.
Did you know that the reason the mad hatter is crazy in the story is because workers making top hats in Victorian times would go crazy because of the  smell of the glue they used...Anyway I don't know how I know this, but  it always made me sad. Have a crafty day ~Wendy  I am linking with gingersnap creations and their mad hatter party, Go check it out at http://gingersnapcreations.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Home and Heart said...

Oooo! This is wonderful!

Lynne Phelps said...

What a WONDERful mad hat! Pun intended! I love the swirl of characters and elements rising up around this hat, it is just magical! I am a HUGE Alice fan and it is so nice to see work from others who also favor the original Tenniel illustations. And it was mercury vapor - some part of the hats contained mercury and the vapor caused erratic behavior, hence the expression "mad as a hatter." But I like the other explanation better, that there was a furniture designer and seller who was very ecentric, with such creations as the "alarm clock bed" which tipped you onto the floor when it was time to get up. He always wore a top hat and folks in those parts called him the Mad Hatter. Tenniels hatter is said to look like him. And that's a much less sad explanation, isn't it? :-)

Blog Archive